PLEASE NOTE BEFORE APPLYING PRODUCT
- Vettec products are best used between 65° and 85° F (18° to 29° C). Temperature will affect the set time.
See Cold & Hot Conditions below.
- Areas of wetness or bleeding should not be covered. Once healed, commence using products.
- Super Fast™ can be applied with the shoe on or off, but will bond to the shoe. A coating of oil or petroleum jelly to the top of shoe will prevent this from occurring. Take care not to get any on the area of the hoof being repaired.
- Product may not bond to hooves that have been heavily treated with products containing: oils, grease, pine tar, etc. In these instances a light denatured alcohol scrub and drying should be performed to ensure adhesion.
- The following procedures are best-accomplished wearing latex or rubber gloves.
- Do not burn or “Hot Shoe” this product.
- Use only Vettec mixing tips.
COLD CONDITIONS (Below 65° F)
- Failure to keep the hooves, shoes, and product warm will dramatically slow the cure time. Example: At 32° F the cure time advances to 4-5 minutes.
- Do not microwave the cartridge or place it in water. Store the cartridges in an insulated “cooler” warmed with microwavable heat pads or 1 to 2 tightly capped gallon jugs filled with hot water.
- In freezing temperatures, 32° F or less, the shoes must be warmed to keep condensation from forming on them and preventing the bond.
HOT CONDITIONS (Above 85° F)
- Product will set very quickly. To slow the set time, if needed store the material in an insulated cooler with 1 or 2 freezer packs.
- NOTE: During hot weather conditions, product may cure at a higher temperature. If applying close to sensitive tissue, product may be applied in layers to reduce heat.
- Open the cartridge. Insert cartridge into dispensing gun.
- Before attaching the mixing tip, equalize the cartridge by squeezing out a small amount to ensure that both sides are dispensing evenly.
- Attach mix tip by pressing tip on to open cartridge. Secure locking collar over the top of the attached mix tip.
- When finished, do not release the pressure with the lever on the back of the dispenser. Remove the mixing tip immediately, discard and apply the cap. Secure the locking collar over the cap to store. The pressure can now be released.
- For additional applications, re-equalize the cartridge and attach a new tip.
- Trim and balance the hoof capsule as normal. Remove any weak or unattached hoof wall & clean out the white line area if compromised.
- NOTE: Only if hoof is oily, wipe the affected areas with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol being careful not to saturate the hoof. Do not use acetone!
- Have all materials ready before proceeding to the next step.
- Dry hoof thoroughly using a heat gun for 30-45 seconds. Do not overheat. Keep heat source approximately 6 inches away from sole. NOTE: All hooves contain natural moisture and must be dried exactly in the manner described above. This step is critical for the product to achieve the appropriate bond to the hoof.
- Hold hoof with sole facing up and starting at one heel and ending at the other heel, dispense Super Fast in a continuous bead creating a shoe appropriate for the size of the hoof.
- Wait until Super Fast has started to cool down before releasing the hoof, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. The material will be hard before then, but won’t be completely cured.
- Rasp and trim material to the desired shoe size and to provide for proper balance and function.
- Additional layers can be applied for corrective shoeing changing heel angles. If the previous layer has become contaminated, rasp off the dirt and add more Super Fast.
- On slippery surfaces, rasp grooves on bottom for added traction.
- For horses that are turned out, in work, or have thin, brittle walls, we suggest creating a 1” rim cuff of Super Fast that ties into the ground shoe to accommodate the side to side shear forces & hold the wall together.
FOAL EXTENSION PROCEDURE
NOTE: This procedure is best done wearing latex or rubber gloves. For foals less than 30 days old, do not bring material up onto the hoof wall as this could constrict the growth of the hoof. Also, do not lock both heels in with the material.
- Follow hoof preparations instructions above.
- Hold the hoof upright and dispense a 1/4 inch layer of Super Fast around the hoof wall.
- Hold foot for 1 minute and then set down.
- Apply additional layers until the desired shape and length is achieved.
- Rasp and trim material as desired.
- Because of the fast set time of Super Fast, one mixing tip is required per applied layer. Make sure enough tips are available before beginning.
- Super Fast allows the farrier or veterinarian more custom options for foal extensions than traditional glue on applications.
- Super Fast gives the farrier and veterinarian the tools to level feet, build heels and support the hoof wall.
- Super Fast allows the temporary protection and support for unshod horses.
- When nailing is not an option, a package of Super Fast and Equi-Build provides support and weight distribution for foundered horses with thin, shelly hoofs.
For professional use only. Keep out of reach of children.